'Izumo Taisha (出雲大社)' is a symbol of Izumo in the country of the gods. It is enshrined god of 'Ōkuninushi no kami (大国主大神)'. Here, 2 million people visit per year. People pray good relationship, matchmaking.
'Ōtorii (大鳥居)'. 'Seidamari (勢溜)' is road of approach to a Izumo Taisha shrine.
we will glad you when refered in sight-seeing.
This road is down approach.
Bronze statue of the 'Hare of Inaba' and young 'Ōkuninushi no kami (大国主大神)' exists left side of approach.
The statue is a one scene of 'Hare of Inaba (因幡の白ウサギ)' episode.
* japanese myth mythology
Also at the right side, Another bronze statue of 'Ōkuninushi no kami (大国主大神)'.
The statue is a one scene of Kojiki (古事記), episode when young 'Ōkuninushi no kami (大国主大神)' awarded various things from gods. (Records of Ancient Matters) .
These are few part of many 'Izumo Taisha (出雲大社)' photos.
This is "Chozuya (手水舎)". Be sure to wash your hands before entering the god area.
Manner of Chozuya (手水舎)
* In this process, carried out with one dipper-full of water!!
- Put water in "Ladle" which is placed in the Temizuya.
- Holding Ladle in your right hand, wash your left hand.
- next, wash your right hand.
- Put water in the left hand and move to mouth, wash the mouth.
- Hold the Ladle vertically so remaining water runs down and clean the handle.
This is a general usage Manner.
Bronze Torii (銅鳥居). It's 6m (19.7feet) high, 52cm (1.7feet) diameter.
The 'Haiden (拝殿)' is a most biggest wooden building from after the war.
This 'Haiden (拝殿)' is built in 1959.
Prayer manners of 'Izumo Taisha (出雲大社)' are different from other shrines.
Izumo Taisha (出雲大社) manner of worship
- Let's put a coin in the saisen box.
- Twice, bow your head and let's say a deep greeting.
- Match your hands at the chest height, clap 4 times, and pray to the god.
- Finally, let's bow again and say a deep greeting once.
'Ōshimenawa (大注連縄)' of Haiden (拝殿). It's called 'Shime nawa', a sacred rope.
'Yatsuashimon gate (八足門)'.
You can pray to 'Honden (本殿 / main shrine) from a front side.
Until in here the normal visit.
But you can visit to 'Ro-mon Gate (楼門)' only 5 days of the New Year.
'Juku sha (十九社)' in right side of 'Yatsuashimon gate (八足門)'. The gods get up to bed in this shrine.
The 'Honden (本殿)' is protected by 3 fences.
That is called 'Aragaki (荒垣)' and 'Mizugaki (瑞垣)', 'Tamagaki (玉垣)'.
'Soga no yashiro (素鵞社)'. Located behind the 'Honden (本殿)'.
It is enshrined 'Susanoo no mikoto (素鵞鳴尊)' was famous who killed 'Yamata no orochi'.
'Susanoo no mikoto (素鵞鳴尊)' is father of 'Ōkuninushi no kami (大国主大神)'.
Some people feel a very strong power.
To the place where God is...
[IZUMO-SHI] Izumo Taisha (出雲大社)
- Address : 195, Taisyachokizukihigashi, Izumo-shi, Shimane
- Phone : 0853-53-3100
- Time ： 8:00am - 17:00
- Admission fee : Free
- Access :  Airport shuttle bus : izumo Airport -- Izumo Taisha. (About 50 minutes)
 JR Izumo City Station (No.1 bus stop) : Izumo City Station --(Ichibata bus) -- Izumo Taisha.
 Ichibata Electric train : Matsue Shinji-ko Onsen St (Kitamatsue-line) Kawato St.
Kawato St (Taisha-line) Izumo Taisha-mae St. *a 5-minute walk from the Izumo Taisha-mae St.