Takaosan Yakuōin Temple (高尾山薬王院) is a temple located in Takaosan (高尾山 / Mt.Takao) inHachioji city, Tokyo. It is famous as a temple of "Tengu faith (天狗信仰)", and it is said that "Tengu with divine power" will fulfill people's wishes and feelings.
"Joshin-mon gate (浄心門)" which is the entrance to the Takaosan Yakuōin Temple (高尾山薬王院). From here it becomes "sanctuary".
Directions to here Takaosan (高尾山 / Mt.Takao)
The Jinpendo (神変堂). Let's pray that you can go up to the summit safely.
we will glad you when refered in sight-seeing.
Proceed along Sando (参道 / approach to Japanese temple) and cross the Suginami tree, "Shitenno-mon Gate (四天王門)" will appear on the right side.
These are few part of many 'Takaosan Yakuōin Temple (高尾山薬王院)' photos.
"Shitenno-mon Gate (四天王門)" which is the San-mon Gate (山門) of the Takaosan Yakuōin Temple (高尾山薬王院).
Statues of the child (童子像).
To the Temple precinct (境内)...
This is "Temizuya (手水舎)". Be sure to wash your hands before entering the god area.
Statue of Yamabushi (山伏).
*Yamabushi (山伏) = a monk who leads an ascetic life in the mountainsa mountain ascetic.
Manner of Temizuya (手水舎)
* In this process, carried out with one dipper-full of water!!
- Put water in "Ladle" which is placed in the Temizuya.
- Holding Ladle in your right hand, wash your left hand.
- next, wash your right hand.
- Put water in the left hand and move to mouth, wash the mouth.
- Hold the Ladle vertically so remaining water runs down and clean the handle.
This is a general usage Manner.
There are many "Tengu (天狗)" in the Temple precinct (境内) !
The nose is high is "Ōtengu (大天狗)". * big tengu
A tengu with a beak is a "Shō tengu (小天狗)". * small tengu
A place to go through the circle and pray. "願叶輪潜"
*Imitate Japanese people behavior and let's pray!
This is a place to return (throw away) such as "Omamori (lucky charm)" previously bought. "納札堂"
Hachidai Ryuo Do (八大竜王堂) , Kurikara Ryu (倶利伽羅龍).
Hachidai Ryuo Do (八大竜王堂). It is good to wash money with the water at the feet of the statue.
"Shugyo Daishido (修行大師堂)". that enshrines Kobo Daishi (弘法大師).
Temple precinct (境内). There are souvenir shops and Juyosho (授与所 / amulet reception counter).
Snacks related to "Tengu (天狗)" are popular.
Daihonbo (大本坊). Can eat 'Shojin Ryori (精進料理)'.
Shojin Ryori (精進料理) is vegetarian cuisine derived from the dietry restrictions of Buddhist monks.
"Nio-mon Gate (仁王門)" is a designated as the Tokyo Metropolitan Area-designated tangible cultural properties.
Yakuōin Daihondo (薬王院大本堂).
Yakuōin Temple (薬王院) manner of pray
Please do not pull the cord of Daihondo (大本堂).
- Let's put a coin in the saisen box.
- bow your head and let's say a deep greeting.
- Match your hands at the chest height, pray to the god.
- Finally, let's bow again and say a deep greeting once.
On the right side of the Daihondo (大本堂) is the "Ōtengu (大天狗)" mask.
On the left side is the mask of "Shō tengu (小天狗)".
photographed on 2 Jun. 2016.
Although it is a temple, shrine?
[HACHIOJI] Takaosan Yakuōin Temple (高尾山薬王院)
- Address : 2177, Takaomachi, Hachioji-shi, Tokyo
- Phone : 042-664-7872 (Takao Visitor Center)042-661-1115
- Time ： 9:00am - 16:00
- Admission fee : Free
- Special prayer : 護摩祈祷 5:30, 9:30, 11:00, 12:30, 14:00,15:30
- Access : From Shinjuku Station...
Shinjuku Station --- (Keio-Line limited express train / for '高尾山口行') --- Takaosanguchi Station, Middle of Takaosan 'Omotesando course'.